Welcome to the 2016-2017 School Year. My name is Lyn Peticolas,
and I teach ELA I and Pre-AP ELA II.
It is my privilege to teach at Austin High School.
Students in English I continue to develop reading, writing, listening, speaking, and viewing skills. Students will read with understanding, and complete written compositions on a regular basis, using the writing process. Students also edit their work for clarity, engaging language, and correct usage of the conventions and mechanics of written English. Using a variety of learning strategies, students will work together in small groups, individually, and in pairs.
Students in Pre-AP English II continue to develop reading, writing, listening, speaking, and viewing skills.
- read with understanding, utilizing a variety of strategies.
- regularly plan, draft, and complete written compositions using the writing process.
- edit papers for clarity, engaging language, and correct usage of the conventions and mechanics of written English.
- improve upon problem solving skills.
- develop close/critical reading skills.
- develop the skills needed to participate in, and successfully complete, project-based learning units of study, using the Pre-AP ELA II curriculum as a springboard.
Pre-AP moves at a faster pace than English II. You will have homework many days and, at times, will be working on a project and reading novels outside of class. Dedication to keeping up with work is crucial for success in a Pre-AP class.
Pre-AP ELA II students were given access to our Edmodo group at the end of the school year 15-16. Please contact me immediately if you believe you are in Pre-AP ELA II and do not have the summer reading assignment. Additionally, all Pre-AP ELA II students need to join my Edmodo group. Contact me for more information: email@example.com. Thank you.
All Freshmen must take the End of Course STAAR exam -- EOC I.
All Sophomores must take the End of Course STAAR exam -- EOC II.
Office and tutoring hours will be posted during the first week of school.